“Each one, Teach one”
CAL-PEP believes that the best approach towards prospective clients is one that is culturally and linguistically appropriate, always respectful of the client population, lifestyle and choices. We feel that the intervention cannot succeed when carried out in a judgmental, aggressive, or culturally naive manner.
Maintain Confidentiality. Their Time and Turf. Non-Judgmental Approach
Meet People Where They Are. One-on-One Repeated Contact. Safer Sex and Needle Use. Peer-Based. Incentive Based
Founded in 1984, CAL-PEP is a community-based, African American-centered organization dedicated to providing coordinated HIV, behavioral health, outreach, and navigation services to communities of color in the Bay Area.
Since 1990 CAL-PEP programs have evolved with HIV science to a high impact approach.
- Street based/mobile and rapid HIV and other testing and specimen collection
- Evidence Based Approach through research, evaluation and quality assurance
- Focus on Getting HIV Positive Individuals into treatment and reduce transmission from HIV positive to HIV negative partners
- Shift to Prevention with HIV positive individuals through Linkage to Care and Drug Treatment aggressively Identify, Link and Retain HIV Infected Persons in Care
- Expand Prevention with HIV negative persons through PrEP (postexposure prophylaxis) as appropriate
What We Do
CAL-PEP’s model of service is based on client centered care, outreach, and education. The impact of HIV on hard to reach members of the BIPOC community, disproportionately affected by HIV requires repeated outreach, education, and navigation of social services.
Who We Serve
We have grown over the past three decades into the agency we are today, providing crucial support services to youth, adults, families, people experiencing homelessness, people who use substances, sex workers, previously incarcerated individuals, and women of trans experience. CAL-PEP is not just a community-based organization, CAL-PEP is your community partner working for a healthier Oakland.
“Each one teach one,” to provide accessible health education to reduce sexual risk, prevent disease, link individuals to health care, treatment and support services. We respect both language and culture of those we serve.
CAL-PEP employs a diverse staff who have an unparalleled range of experience in providing neighborhood-based outreach, health education, risk reduction, and support services to marginalized and underserved populations.