Employee Job Description
Job Title: Accounting Clerk
Report To: Finance Manager
Starting Salary: Status: Full Time
General Summary: Works as a member of the accounting team to provide for all accounting needs of CAL-PEP, its affiliates and related operations. Responsible for preparation, cash receipts, record keeping and reconciliation limited tax reporting. Facilitates annual external audits as it relates to areas of responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works closely with accounting, budgeting and other departments to gather information needed to produce accurate financial statements according to monthly closing schedule. Takes lead in documenting processes and procedures and implements automated methods when practical.
- Receives, reviews, input, and posts all manual and electronic journal entries approved by Director.
- Maintains all records related to financial statements including journal entries, source documentation and the department’s official copy of Financial Reports.
- Entering invoices to computerized accounting system, scheduling payments, conducting AP close, and reconciling AP reports.
- Attends department, weekly supervision, agency wide staff meetings and other meetings as determined appropriate by supervisor.
- Executes payroll and accounts payable functions at least four times per year as coverage for vacations and other absences; cross trains for other accounting job functions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong accounting skills
- Ability to work in high-pressure, crowded and busy office
- Willingness to work with people of diverse ethnic and social backgrounds, sexual orientations as well as people with AIDS/HIV disease.
- Organizational, communication, motivational and detail skills.
- Strong attention to details
- Ability to maintain schedules
- Ability to function as a productive team member.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word or Word Perfect and Excel.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to make decision in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Ability to see well enough to use computer efficiently and read computer reports and correspondence.
Education and Experience: Strong general accounting knowledge with a minimum of one year experience in general accounting. Previous data base experience is highly desirable. Proficiency in computer spreadsheets, word processing, including knowledge of Windows and Excel is essential.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
CAL-PEP’s Mission Statement
CAL-PEP’s overall mission is to provide accessible health education, disease prevention, risk reduction, and support services to people at high risk for HIV/AIDS in a culturally and linguistically appropriate manner. Through these services it is CAL-PEP’s goal to empower African Americans and other disenfranchised people to live healthy and productive lives.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
CAL-PEP is an Equal Opportunity employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, and other disabilities, women, gay men, lesbians, transgender and people of color.