Employee Job Description
Job Title: HIV Outreach and Testing Specialist
Report To: Program Supervisor
Starting Salary: DOE Status:
Responsible for performing HIV/AIDS and other STDs education and prevention outreach to sex workers, injection drug users, and the sexual partners of these populations, and other high-risk populations in their respective communities. HIV prevention services include street outreach, risk reduction small group education/support sessions, community-based mobile health screenings, community forums and other innovative interventions. HIV prevention services target a diverse population, including persons of color, persons who exchange sex, injection and non-injection drug users, youth-at-risk, women at-risk, MSM, Lesbians, Bisexuals, transgender persons and other diverse populations. This position reports to the Outreach Supervisor.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs HIV/AIDS and STD prevention education including safer sex and safer injection drug use based on Harm Reduction Principles.
- Assurance that necessary supplies are available for weekly field activities.
- Distributes bleach, condoms and other related materials to target populations
- Co-facilitates Structured and or unstructured support groups and safer sex workshops for target populations with other outreach workers including administering pre/post quizzes.
- Maintains accurate and complete logsheets/field notes including number and type of contacts made, number of participants in support groups and workshops, and detailed demographic information for evaluation purposes.
- Participates in workshops and in-service training at agencies, prisons, and other facilities.
- Provides clients with advocacy and referral assistance.
- Disseminates information about CAL-PEP’s approach to HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, STDs prevention and education and information to improve harm reduction skills.
- Serves as a liaison to other service organizations
- Assists with quarterly reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of prostitution, HIV and general awareness of the local and client base
- Certification in pre and post test counseling
- Experience working with people with substance use issues including IV drug users
- Cultural sensitivity with willingness to work with people of diverse ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, as well as people with AIDS/HIV
- Willingness and proven ability to work cooperatively with other people
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good communication skills
- Mandatory staff meeting and continuing training every Monday.
- Flexibility with schedule and willing to work some evenings and Saturdays.
- Bilingual with Spanish a plus.
- Valid CA driver’s license (vehicle ownership not required) a plus
- Ability to drive mobile units and medical transportation vehicles
- Willingness to access clients and work in ‘marginal’ neighborhoods
- Familiarity with target neighborhoods/target populations a plus
CAL-PEP is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We actively seek applications from people living with HIV/AIDS, people of color, women, lesbians and gay men.
Submit resume and cover letter via email or USPS to:
PO Box 71629
Oakland, CA 94612
email@example.com or at firstname.lastname@example.org
DEADLINE: To be announced